"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you" James 1:27

We continue to believe strongly in adoption - this blog serves to tell of our journey and encourages all who read it to learn of and love the journey of adoption!

Contact us at VJansen90@gmail.com


Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Caution ahead.....

Caution ahead......

As Lent begins today, I ask you to read this post slowly and really do some self examination. Most of the words I share today are not my own, but resonate deeply with my heart and soul these days. I borrow them from someone else, who writes much better than I and who definitely lives out her words. (She's adopted 13 children in Uganda)

"Adoption is wonderful and beautiful and the greatest blessing I have ever experienced. Adoption is also difficult and painful. Adoption is a beautiful picture of redemption. It is the Gospel in my living room. And sometimes, it's just hard."

"Adoption is a redemptive response to tragedy that happens in this broken world. And every single day, it is worth it, because adoption is God's heart. His Word says, "In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons and daughters through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will" (Ephesians 1:5) He sets the lonely in families (Psalm 68:6). The first word that appears when I look up adoption in the dictionary is "acceptance." God accepts me, adores me even, just as I am. And He wants me to accept those without families into my own. Adoption is the reason I can come before God's throne and beg Him for mercy, because He predestined me to be adopted as His child through Jesus Christ."

"My family, adopting these children, it is not optional. It is not my good deed for the day; it is not what I am doing to "help out these poor kids." I adopt because God commands me to care for the orphans and the widows in their distress. I adopt because Jesus says that to whom much has been given, much will be demanded (see Luke 12:48)."

From "Kisses from Katie" by Katie Davis (pgs 72-73)

"The truth is that the 143 million orphaned children and the 11 million who starve to death or die from preventable diseases (emphasis mine) and the 8.5 million who work as child slaves, prostitutes, or under other horrific conditions and the 2.3 million who live with HIV add up to 164.8 million needy children. And though at first glance that looks like a big number, 2.1 billion people on this earth proclaim to be Christians. The truth is that if only 8 percent of the Christians would care for one more child, there would not be any statistics left. This is the Truth. I have the freedom to believe it. The freedom, the opportunity to do something about it. The truth is that He loves these children just as much as He loves me and now that I know, I am responsible"

From "Kisses from Katie" by Katie Davis (pgs 91-92)

So - there you go. You were warned before you read it. Now you too, are responsible. Have you been given much? (If you are an American, yes, you have) Then, much will be expected from you. During this season of Lent - will you commit some prayer, time and conversation with God and see how you need to help the orphans and widows of this world? Maybe you won't feel called to adopt - but could you sponsor a child (http://www.compassion.com/)? Could you help families (encourage, support financially, offer meal help, etc) that feel called to or have adopted? Could you drink only water for this season of Lent (Join Dave & I as we do this http://www.bloodwatermission.com/fortydays.php)

You are responsible - take your responsibility seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment